Thursday, June 29, 2017

Where Is Your Center?

I find myself wondering again, where the time goes when presumably the schedule should be a bit lighter now that the Spring Sacraments are done. It is true though that there is never a dull moment in parish life.

So, when Elisha visits the 'woman of influence' in the first reading on Sunday, how kind is she to set up a place of respite for him? Someone else would be trying to get rid of a guest who overstays their welcome! Not her, she is most hospitable and her goodness is rewarded magnificently.

I had an opportunity last weekend to meet a group of people who could not have been more welcoming. They were so very gracious. They told us over and over again how much they were moved and touched by the hospitality that was offered to their son and daughter at our parish of St Francis de Sales. It reminds me that our 'influence' can be far reaching. A kindness offered to someone on Sunday becomes the seed of great faith when given the time and love to blossom.

The beginning of the Gospel always unnerves me. Does Jesus really mean those harsh words? Or was he just trying to catch our attention so that we could hear the truth-that God must be in the center of our lives. Our decisions need to be considered from a heart of faith. This I can understand and pray with. I know when God is my center, there is a peace beyond all understanding even in the midst of the turmoil of my life.

My prayer for each of us as we enter into the summer months is that we keep God in the center, in the good times and the hard, at work, at the beach, in the everydayness of grocery shopping. May we remember that God is with us in it all, and may we stay centered in God's love.


No comments:

Post a Comment