Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Ready or Not

And here we are in the midst of Holy Week, whether we're ready or not.

Given that we are celebrating our Sacred Triduum from our own living rooms and kitchens I find myself pondering what is the essence of each of these days? What are the essential truths of these liturgies and can I pray with those truths even if I'm not gathered with others physically in the same space? Whether I can or not isn't really up for discussion, I must find a way.

What are the moments in Holy Week that you love the best? How will you pray those moments this year?

I am always moved by the foot washing, the retelling of the last supper narrative, the idea of service, the mystery and wonder of the incredible gift of the Eucharist and the quiet prayer at the altar of repose when the Holy Thursday service is done...the sense of humility that comes through on Good Friday, the pain in the retelling of the crucifixion, and then just the absolute glory of the Easter miracle.

How will we pray these days? Will we take the time to pray with the readings from our liturgies at home, with friends on a group chat? Can I look for some intentional quiet in my day to ponder the mystery of the passion of Christ? Will I eat my meals more prayerfully? What music might I choose to listen to to surround my soul in prayerful melody?

I think I'm going to bake bread on Thursday and really pray about the gift of Jesus's self in the Eucharist...as well as wonder and gratitude for the gift of faith in that Eucharist.
On Friday, maybe I'll take a quiet walk, (of course keeping a safe distance from others) remembering Jesus' walk to Calvary...

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do on Easter Sunday. It's hard to think of not being with church family and birth family and friends for services, for a special meal, for the laughter and fun. Perhaps a walk down to the river to just sit and watch the water glisten in the sunlight (I'm hoping for sunlight!!) I will find a way to hum a little Alleluia song somewhere on Sunday. I will remember the despite our present reality, the truth of Easter is that Love always wins...and yes, even this year, Love will win.

I pray that these days are most special for each of us, that we realize we are being given the gift of a retreat time with Jesus, that we didn't even ask for! May we use these holy days well, and may we discover the blessings that God has in store for us!

Peace and Easter blessings to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment