Thursday, February 11, 2016

Chosen

There's a lot that goes on as we move into this first week of Lent, and in the midst of it all we buried a dear friend today. It's hard to imagine he is gone. He was a wonderful mentor for me and for many. He will be missed a great deal.

So, my heart is quiet and my mind is a bit numb. As I think about what to write this week, I breathe deeply and think about all the catechumens who will gather at cathedrals around the Catholic world to celebrate the Rite of Election this weekend. They have no idea what they are walking into. It will be overwhelming to them. They will be stunned.

We are blessed by the example of their witness. Every year I am overwhelmed along with them as I look around the cathedral and witness thousands of people, young and old, who are standing up and proclaiming they want to be Catholic. Wow! This part of me that I take so for granted, others are yearning for. I am humbled by their journey of faith.

This Sunday, they will hear the truth that God has chosen  them. God has elected them to be part of this crazy community we call the Catholic church. As I sit here today and think about this I realize the truth that God has chosen each of us. From moments before we were born we were called, graced and blessed by God. We are part of God's elect.

I'm know that there is a responsibility that goes along with this, but for this first week of Lent, I just want to sit with the reality that God chooses me. God chooses YOU. I can't help but feel deeply loved because of that truth.

Peace be to all of you. Happy First Sunday of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment